header image

Pescetarian, Vegetarian, Vegan, what does it all mean?

Posted by: jennchen115 | September 15, 2011 | 3 Comments |

One of the most common questions I get as a Vegetarian is people asking me, what’s the difference between a Vegetarian and a Vegan? And what in the world is a Pescetarian?

You’ll be surprised that there are people in certain parts of United States who has never even heard of the term Vegetarian. Those parts are usually located in the Southern States, where many restaurants there aren’t veggie friendly. Here in New York, we are blessed with a large percentage of diversity therefore Vegetarians aren’t uncommon to be found.

Now what exactly is the difference between these three types?

Pescetarian, like vegetarians and vegans, does not eat any type of animal meat or flesh. They DO however, eat fish. Some consider life in the sea, not as meat because they are cold blooded. But traditional vegetarians *Me me me* considers ALL living animals, to be meat. The term isn’t very commonly used *I probably can’t even pronounce it correctly* but the method is very commonly practiced. Most people consider this method as a stepping stone to become a true vegetarian.

Vegetarians does not eat any type of living animals INCLUDING fish. However, unlike vegans, they DO eat eggs and dairy products. That’s where the term lacto-ovo-vegetarians come from. “Lacto” in Latin means milk and “Ovo” means eggs.

Vegans, does not eat/wear anything that comes from animals. They DO NOT eat eggs, diary products, meat, shellfish, fish, or anything with gelatin in the ingredients.
What’s gelatin? Gelatin is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless substance extracted from collagen inside the skins and bones of animals. Most often found in gummy like candies, jello, marshmallows, and some drugs.
I’ve actually never knew of this term until 2 years ago when my Muslim friend brought it to my attention. I offered her some jelly and she had to scan through the ingredients before she can eat it. I was wondering what she was searching for, and even now, a part of me wished I’ve never asked. Because from that day on, I had to cross out Jelly and gummy from my list of favorite foods.
There are also other types of vegetarians out there that I have not mentioned. Such as, raw vegan or raw food diet and macrobiotics. But I’m not going to go over them since I have very little knowledge about them.
under: Uncategorized

Responses -

Hi Jenn! It’s so nice to see what you’ve been writing about so far. I think you were the last person added to the blog-roll, but there you are now, and I am so glad other students have the opportunity to read this informative blog! I really love your first post where you tell us about yourself, and this post is a very clear and detailed explanation of varieties of non-carnivores–very nice! I think ideally I would love to see these two facets–the personal and the informative–emerge from each of your posts. Your voice is so comfortable and casual without sacrificing an authoritative edge, and I’d like to see how that voice weaves personal anecdotes, opinions, thoughts into the wider world of useful life information.

This is a fortuitous beginning–I really like what you’re doing here. By the way, I was vegetarian for 16 years and started eating meat again a couple years ago because it became possible to buy local, humanely-raised meat. I personally know the farmers who provide me with meat, and that makes all the difference for me. My beef (if you will!) was with corporate farming and the horrible treatment of animals. Still, I’m thinking all this through in an ongoing way, and I’m curious about what I can learn from you.

I really like your theme, especially the bit about veganism. I was a vegan for a while, and it was a very difficult and expensive lifestyle, but I loved it, and wish I had stuck with it. I think you should write a little bit about about why people become vegeterian/vegan/pescatarian and how it impacts their daily lives.

I love this blog, mainly because I am a vegetarian too for about 10 years now. I eat dairy products but not fish. My personal beliefs and why I became a vegetarian is for animal rights. I feel like even if the animals are raised in a non violent envioronment, they are still being bred to be killed for human pleasure. We don’t need to kill animals to survive.
I would never go back to eating meat EVER.

I’d like to learn more about your family and their cultural beliefs about vegetarianism. I’ll definitely be keeping up with your blog.

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories